Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Home security:

Recent prowling incidents prompted us to enhance our home security system.

Our home alarm was triggered in the early hours of the morning on two separate occasions.

At other times, vehicles and people, who don’t belong in the neighborhood, were sighted in the area.

Police and neighbors were informed.
 
Incidents of prowling, stalking, and possible intimidation and harassment should never be ignored.
 
We installed security cameras.

Recording video and audio around our grounds, and inside our home, with night vision, and motion detection.

All doors.

All windows.

All rooms.

Including our garage, where some people might think they can’t be seen or heard.

All activity is logged.
 
To some, this may seem like over-reaction, but I’ve had past experience.

When I was fifteen, my home was burgled during the early hours.

My dog had been killed a couple of weeks previous to the break-in.

Someone had thrown poisoned meat into the yard.

It can be an early warning signal that your home has been targeted if someone murders your guard dog.

During the break-in, I woke to sounds below.

I got up to investigate, but the thieves heard my movements.

They escaped.

The cops were called.

The crime became a statistic.

The money and goods they stole were eventually replaced.

But the incident haunted me ever since.

These crimes start with prowlers.

Stalkers.

Opportunistic thieves who case a property.

They assess their options, and the risks, as they plan.

I’ve described the experience in part of a forthcoming book.
 
I’m reminded of the characters, Mikey Platt and the O’Sullivan brothers, in The Breaker.


I remember their real-life counterparts, how they inspired me to give them fictional echoes in my book.
 
My research, over decades, gave me an insight into the selfish mindsets and toxic personality disorders of those who indulge in harmful, criminal behavior.
 
To those of this ilk, I say this:
 
You have a choice.

Why do this?

Instead of creeping about, with the intention of stealing, cheating, or hurting others …

Dedicate your time to something positive.

Consider someone else’s wants and needs, instead of just your own.

Help others.

Volunteer.

Find someone to love and share your life with.

Make some friends.

Real friends that don’t have a personality disorder and won’t land you in trouble.

Learn something productive and beneficial.

Better yourself.

Be creative instead of destructive.

Make a positive difference in the world.

Make life better for someone else.

Be known and remembered as a good, decent human being … not a miserable, selfish, wretched loser.

In short … get a life.
 
I believe in home security and deterrence.

I believe in insurance.

It gives us peace of mind.

Just in case.
 
Visits to our home are by invitation only.

If you haven’t been invited, you have no business being here.

It’s that simple.
 
Intruders will be prosecuted.
 
If you play stupid games, expect to win stupid prizes.
 
You have been warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment